Monday, July 19, 2010

while I'm at it

Here's another painting. This one is of Jenn standing out back behind the studio. Probably grilling some burgers or watering our gardens or something.

I'll post a few of this process too.

It started out pretty smoothly.





Then it sat in this state for a few weeks, looking disdainfully at me from my easel as I played Super Mario Kart and did anything but paint on it.



Then the deadline came for an exhibition Jenn and I were entering. I had all but given up. I had entered my painting of Tim in a different show, and another painting was similarly spoken for. So I played some Mario Kart and meandered the internet and drank some PBRs and did a bunch of other things that were not painting, all the while trying to deflect the hairy eyeball this painting was shooting me. At about midnight I finally grew tired of the looks I was getting, so I picked up my paintbrushes, and, over the next four hours, finished it.

I ended up winning Best in Show. Imagine that. I'm not sure what exactly that says about procrastination.



The show we were in was the annual Walls of Wittenberg exhibition. This year they had a theme: Wisconsin, our home. I figure the studio seems more like our home sometimes than our apartment, so it had to be a fit.

1 comment:

Devon Browning said...

Every one of my paintings were procrastinated until the very last second... so I say that procrastination is good :)